Tuesday 14 August 2012

Rob's Top 5: Coffee Houses in London


The first thing I ever really wanted to put on my blog was top 5’s. I LOVE having top 5 lists, I don’t write them down but I like to know they’re there! I have top 5’s for everything, from wines I’ve drunk, beaches I’ve been on to top 5 meals ever…so here is the first – Robs Top 5 Coffee Houses in London. Before I start I’ll just say on behalf of the nation ‘who doesn’t love coffee’, It’s one of my favourite things in life and quite often makes me late. Now if you think I’m going to wtite about Starbucks and Café Nero then I’m afraid you’re wrong but you’ll find that they’re not hard to get to at all and often surprise you with menu changes. I urge everyone to support their local coffee shop! (Disclaimer: I’m sure I haven’t been to all the coffee houses in London but these are my top 5 ,I hope you enjoy)


5. Monmouth, Borough Market
The location of the coffee house is incredible, set at the end of Borough Market and with an open front it’s a great place to sit and soak in the atmosphere while sipping on your favourite brew. If you drink black coffee like me then you’ve a choice of about 15 varieties all freshly ground and brewed in front of you. There’s also a huge selection of pastries and breads to eat on the communal tables.  Just great. Sorry there're no pictures, I'll try and add soon.

4. Tapped and Packed, Tottenham Court Road
Sat just outside Warren Street station this is one of the ‘busiest’ coffee shops I have on my list, it’s also the most recent addition! The inside is modern and stylish decked out with filament lightbulbs that seem to be everywhere at the moment. The coffee tastes how coffee should, there are notes of caramel that you rarely find and you can clearly taste their distinctive coffee finished by sweet milk (I think there are only a few ways to judge a coffee and their latte is one!) Great coffee and a great place to people watch. Definitely one to visit.



3. Fernandez and Wells, Beak Street
A lovely and clean clean interior decked out with wood and white washed walls and only a hop skip and a jump away from Oxford Street Fernandez and Wells quickly became one of my favourite haunts. If you ever visit central London go here. The main reason however is the coffee – I have never had a less than perfect coffee here! The waiters are always super friendly and the communal seating is a friendly setting for a perfect coffee. They usually have great pasteis de nata too.


2. Towpath, on the towpath between Kingsland Road and Angel
This is by far and away the best place to drink a coffee in London. Be it a little hard to get to it’s worth the effort. The coffee they serve is from a roastery in Italy, the only place in London to serve it. The cakes and biscuits are all made on site in their tiny kitchen and you can sit and drink your coffee with the quiet surroundings of the canal knowing that you’re actually in the centre of town but you’re hidden away from it! Bliss




1. Nude Espresso, Hanbury Street
I’ve visited Nude Espresso so many times and each one has been just as great as the first. It’s placed between Spitallfields market and Brick Lane and so is the ideal place to stop for a cheeky refreshment, they’re always playing great music and the staff are super friendly. Also, they tend not to advertise it but you get a free coffee for every bag of coffee beans you buy so I always tend to come away with a bag, guess it’s just an excuse…The coffee is consistently brilliant boasting the smokey flavour of a beautifully roasted coffee which is roasted only a stones throw away, not too much smoke as it still gives way to that caramely flavour that all well roasted and made coffe should have. Nude espresso also does what has to be the best cake I have eaten in London – their banana and black chocolate muffin! It seems bad to add this as a bonus when it should be about the coffee but it’s seriously amazing. This is heaven. Go. Now.



Worthy mentions that didn’t make the list; Fullstop bar, Brick Lane Coffee House, Prufrock Coffee, Kaffeine, Suzuki coffee shop (Kingsland Road), Tina, we salute you..

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for a new place to sit and read or write in London, I'm going to try all of these, thanks! x

    ReplyDelete